Founded in 1986 as a partnership between Nittoku and Autoneum, UGN is the preferred producer of high quality acoustic, interior trim, and thermal management products, and a recognized leader in customer satisfaction for the Japanese transplant automotive industry in North America. UGN, with more than $400 million in revenue, has six locations in the United States—Farmington Hills, Michigan; Jackson, Tennessee; Monroe, Ohio; Somerset, Kentucky; Tinley Park, Illinois; and Valparaiso, Indiana; as well as a location in Silao, Guanajuato, Mexico—specializing in manufacturing, research, development, testing, and service support. Visit our website at www.ugn.com.
The Tooling Engineer performs tool engineering assignments, including, but not limited to, design, purchase, and implementation of UGN machine process tooling at all UGN facilities. This position will be based out of UGN’s corporate headquarters in Tinley Park, IL.
- Manage tooling projects using UGN specifications, documentation, and best practices, to execute tooling programs within expected timing and budget constraints.
- Conduct tooling design reviews with suppliers, corporate engineering, and operations personnel to ensure tools are built to specification and meet program requirements.
- Prepare funding appropriations (T’s) and Purchase Orders after receiving authorization paperwork from Sales Account Managers and/or Program Managers.
- Assist and facilitate as required, tooling trials at outside suppliers and UGN facilities. Coordinate with Quality and Process Engineering, and operations personnel to ensure that a quality part is produced and meets program goals (cycle, scrap, labor).
- Prepare RFQ (Request for Quote) packages for new tooling projects. Work with Project Engineering and Purchasing to review and assess RFD (Request for Development) responses, and select tool suppliers using competitive bidding criteria.
- Participate in the development and maintenance of tooling standards, processes, and best practices.
- Communicate status and needs of tooling programs to appropriate UGN Corporate Engineering management, operations, sales, service groups, and outside suppliers.
- Support Product and Process Engineering teams all along the development phases from pre-development & RFD to SOP.
- Perform routine CAD data transfers between Product Engineering and suppliers.
- Regular travel to suppliers and UGN facilities to support tooling program activities is required as part of normal work expectations.
- Stay current on industry technologies available in the market and used by our main competitors.
- Follow all UGN corporate policies and procedures.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in mechanical engineering; or five plus years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proficiency in problem-solving and experience in managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Leadership ability and excellent communication skills across cross functional departments.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret customer drawings, tooling drawings, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications– Word, Excel; Microsoft Outlook; Project and AutoCAD 2D software.
- Travel up to 75%
To apply, please email your resume to Lisa Jurack at email@example.com